Origin stories, a gateway drug for elevator pitches.
Know where you come from*
Origin stories help you answer questions like:
Where did you come from?
Who are you?
What's your story?
If you think these questions are too broad? your thinking is too narrow.
My friend Dominika Vašová wrote a beautiful newsletter that takes this idea further.
Here are her 7 steps for writing your origin story
1. THE IMMERSION = describe an experience when you lost track of time: (explain how it felt in a vivid way, choose a specific moment, and avoid generalizations like “I always loved painting”)
2. THE OBSTACLE = But then… (add tension - explain the struggle, e.g. society's expectations, parents’ opinions, limiting beliefs, your failures)
3. THE FEELING = Because of that I felt… (show us your inner world)
4. THE TURNING POINT = One day… (the aha moment - describe the moment of realization as an action scene)
5. THE GUIDE = That’s when I met… (show us who helped you)
6. THE CHANGE = From that moment on … (reveal how it changed you)
7. THE RESULT = Today, I help people do…, because (your purpose)
Like this? you'll love her newsletter.
Subscribe to StoryMaze and get amazed with storytelling.
Misfits Journal is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.